The Barcelona Research Centre in Multiscale Science and Engineering at the UPC is singular infrastructure in the field of microengineering, nanoengineering, nanotechnology and nanoscience. It involves eight research groups at the UPC from the departments of chemical engineering, materials engineering, physics and electronic engineering. Its main objective is to strengthen fundamental and applied research in the areas of biotechnology, the environment and energy.
The main themes of the research include:
- Handling and study of nanoparticles for applications in electronics, communications and sensors.
- Mechanical, electrical and electronic properties of micro and nanodevices, structures and biological systems.
- Multiscale analysis of coupled processes: Behaviour of the complex system.
- Nanoscale analysis of surfaces and reactivity.
- Simulation and modelling of nanometric and nanostructured materials.
- Manufacture, characterisation and applications of micro- and nanometric layers.
- Integration of nanometric devices in micro- and mesoscopic systems.
- Design, preparation and characterisation of nanoparticles and their use in catalysis.
- Energy and environmental applications of nanoparticles and nanostructures.
The multiscale centre brings together singular equipment and devices in our environment. It has available, among other techniques, focus ion beam, X-ray diffraction (DRX), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), FTIR, UV visible absorption spectroscopy, interferometric microscopy, RAMAN spectroscopy, near ambient pressure XPS (NAPP-XPS), inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy, inductively coupled plasma mass spectroscopy, X-ray tomography and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.
With this advanced equipment, the centre provides a wide range of services and solutions to address the challenges in micro- and nanoengineering research. From the manufacture and characterisation of micro- and nanometric layers to the integration of nanometric devices, it contributes to promoting innovation and development in a field that is constant evolution.
If you are interested in obtaining more information from the Barcelona Research Centre in Multiscale Science and Engineering or learning about other UPC infrastructure, you can find more information on the website of the UPC Technical and scientific services.